I have an old hp Officejet 2620 printer that works very fine. I recently got this issue when trying to print. I always get this error message “waiting for printer to become available” and no way to solve it, even after resetting the whole printer setting.
I finally found the full solution.
- Reset the Mac printing system
- On your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Printers & Scanners.
- Press and hold the Control key as you click in the list at the left, then choose “Reset printing system” from the menu that appears.
- Before adding the printer again, delete all files from the /Library/Printer. That was the part missing in my case.
- From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder. Type /Library/Printers/ and click Go.
- The Printers folder opens. Choose Edit > Select All, which selects all items in the Printers folder.
- Choose File > New Folder with Selection, which puts all of the selected items into a new folder named New Folder With Items. To save storage space, you can delete this folder.
- Now you can add your printer again, following your printer instructions.