You can have a free account in IBM Cloud without time limitations and only usage limitation. Let’s see what you can do with this account and you will realize you can already do a lot with it !
One limitation to be aware is that a service is deleted after 30 days of inactivity. You will get an email to warn you of the deletion a few days before. If you want to keep using it, just go to the service and use it once for another 30 days.
I will list what is included in each Watson services to show you you can start right now to develop with IBM before even starting to pay for anything.
Watson Assistant (WA)
Watson Assistant helps you develop dialogs and chatbot for any kind of use case. Here is what you can do.
- 10,000 Messages/Month
- AI-Based Intent and Entity Recognition
- Entity Synonym Recommendations
- Visual Dialog Edit with Simple Response Types (Text, Options, Images, etc…)
- Prebuilt Content Available
- Analytics Dashboard with 7 Days of Storage
- 5 Dialog Skills, Each with 100 Dialog Nodes
- Shared Public Cloud
This is already a lot to start a dialog bot, test it and use it with your firsts users.
Main part missing in the Lite plans :
- Discovery skills that allows to go to Discovery for search directly from Assistant (Short Tail / Long Tail made easy)
- Intent Recommendations
- Intent Conflict Detection
- Service Desk Integrations
Watson Discovery (WDS)
Watson Discovery helps you index documents in a smart way and find useful information in them you couldn’t find another way. Here is what you can do.
- 1,000 documents per month
- 1 custom model
- 500 element classification pages per month
A custom model is a new context model developed with Watson Knowledge Studio.
- 1,000 Events per month towards:
- Pre-trained model classification (General, Face, Food, Explicit) (images)
- Custom Model classification (images)
- Custom Model training (images)
- 2 Custom Models
- 1 Lite Plan instance per IBM Cloud Organization
- Free Exports to Core ML
Language Translator (LT)
Language Translator helps you translate language in another language
- 1,000,000 Characters per Month
Natural Language Understanding (NLU)
- 30,000 NLU Items Per Month
- 1 Custom Model
NOTE: A NLU item is based on the number of data units enriched and the number of enrichment features applied. A data unit is 10,000 characters or less. For example: extracting Entities and Sentiment from 15,000 characters of text is (2 Data Units * 2 Enrichment Features) = 4 NLU Items. A custom model refers to an annotation model developed with Watson Knowledge Studio.
Personality Insights (PI)
- 1,000 API Calls per Month
Speech To Text (STT)
- 100 Minutes per Month
Text To Speech (TTS)
- 10,000 Characters per Month
- 2,500 API Calls per Month